The training course will provide you with a general introduction to understanding mental health difficulties with confidence. It aims to deliver an overview of common mental health conditions and the signs & symptoms that may present.
This one-day introductory course can be delivered in-house, with the option of a bespoke design for your organisational needs.
What are the course aims?
- To examine the preconceptions and fears we all have about mental ill health.
- To increase awareness of mental health difficulties.
- To be aware of the impact that mental ill health problems can have on an individual’s day to day functioning.
- To increase personal knowledge and confidence when coming into contact with people with mental health difficulties.
What will the course cover?
- An understanding of what mental health is.
- The causes, signs and symptoms of common mental health difficulties including depression, anxiety, SAD, OCD, panic disorder, eating disorders, schizophrenia, psychosis and bi-polar disorder.
- Delegates will explore attitudes around mental health
- Delegates will be able to differentiate between different mental health conditions
- How to communicate more effectively with people who have mental health difficulties
- The barriers that those with mental health difficulties face
- Practical tools and techniques to support yourself and others experiencing a mental health difficulty.
- The various treatment options available.
- The support mechanisms available in your community.
The emphasis of the course is on learning through experience.
There will be discussion and interactive practical exercises throughout the day.
Who should attend?
This one-day course is aimed at those people who have little or no previous training in mental health, but who may, as part of their work, come into contact with people experiencing mental health difficulties.
It is appropriate for carers (formal and informal) and for people who have experienced a mental health difficulty.
- Support workers
- Employers/Managers/Human Resources
- Social services/Healthcare workers
- Fire Service
- NHS Staff
- Benefits/Housing advisors
- Police/Correctional staff
- Youth workers
- Older peoples services
- Anyone interested in mental health awareness
Participants are encouraged to express frank opinions and share experiences.
How do I make a booking?
Check for our current courses in the sidebar. If we don’t have a course near you, either call us on 01482 240134, or email firstname.lastname@example.org